Monday, November 3, 2008

analysis of first verse

I interpret the first paragraph of the song as talking about a rich and popular girl. I assume she is a girl because in the third line the narrator refers to the character as "doll". Who was perfect and in her prime, and thinks it will last forever. The type of person who thinks that there better than everyone. I see her as a person who also was warned with things like it will not always be this good. I got this from lines like "you're bound to fall" Or people warning her to help out others and her never doing it because she always saw being poor as a persons own problem the same with just being on hard times. I got this sense from the second line where the narrator says "you threw a bums a dime in your prime, didn't you" I think he says "didn't you" as a way of showing that she didn't and now she can see how hard  it is. I do not think it is revealed why the narrator falls until the second verse but I believe it is because of drug use which I will go into more later.  It eventually catches up to her and she looses all confidence and sees what she really was. She realizes that those people warned her where right and now feels bad for looking down on those below her. Now she wishes she had been different, and realizes what was wrong with who she was. I ge this from the narrator saying "now you don't seem so proud".

4 comments:

Wiedbrauk said...

Great ideas!

Can you use specific examples from the first stanza to back up your ideas? Either by adding on to this post or by writing a second one.

Alanna said...

i think that it is also about materialism.

whitenack said...

i think maybe the line"you threw a bums a dime in your prime, didn't you" refers to her just throwing change at the less fortunate, rather than really trying to help them.

D. Malone said...

Do you think she deserved what has happened to her? Do you see it 'bound to happen' to everyone? Why was this bound to happen to her?