Monday, November 24, 2008

Response to Comments on my last post

For this post I plan to respond to two comments about my last post, I am going to agree with the ian.k's comment and argue against alanna's comment. Alanna argues that the lines "When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal" is meant to show the characters  uselessness and having nothing to offer anymore. While ian.k and I think that these lines are meant to show that only once a person escapes a life based on material objects and social status will they be able to find real happiness, and live life to its fullest. When you are able to live life not care what other people think. You will have total freedom, which I think is what all people are really looking for in life. Just as we look for friends who allow us to be ourselves or a job that gives us the freedom to do what we love. 


The lines "how does  it feel to be on your own with no direction home Like a complete unknown" conjure up thoughts of sadness to most imagining someone broke with no friends and family to help them. I am able to see these lines as being happy because they are followed by the line "like a rolling stone". This line changes how I interpret the lines before it because of how I think people should live life. I think that you should live life much like a rolling stone what I mean by this is you should never stop and be content with the way things are you should always keep moving on. Just as a "rolling stone gathers no moss" a person who keeps moving never gets tied down by material objects or stops to worry what others think. Most people see the line with "No direction home" home to be sad imaging the homeless or unwanted. I think this line is to show freedom and I think that my interpretation is different than most people because of how I view an ideal life. For me an ideal life would mean total freedom to roam and to never be tied down by material objects or a single home. A life where you are free to travel the world experience different cultures and not worry about your social status or if you fit in. While I think most people view an ideal life as settling into a home with family and gathering material objects along with social status. So to really be able to gather meaning to this song I think you need to think about what  in life will bring you happiness. 

No comments: